General Questions FAQs

Work World Jobs matches candidates around the world with employers in Canada, USA and some European countries in search of foreign workers to fill domestic job vacancies.

WW’s interactive software is a tool where candidates create and host their digital profiles, and employers publish job vacancies and review and pre-select candidates to fill those positions.

Work World Jobs accepts all major credit cards. The payment method is through a secure payment gateway and can be reached through our website. Payment is in US dollars.

We are open Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm EST. We are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

We seek employers in industries where labor shortages are impacting their businesses. Some examples are construction, agriculture, hospitality, and others. Please check our employer page to see what positions are available.

Immigration Opportunities FAQs

If you want to migrate to North America or Europe, Work World Jobs can help you prepare your best profile, apply to authorized employers and assist you with the immigration process once you receive a job offer.

There are various reasons to enroll with WWJ, during your job search abroad, which include:

  1. A professional job-ready profile, presenting you in the best possible light.
  2. Learning about new job opportunities, including some unpublicized openings.
  3. Having someone advocate for you with hiring managers to get an interview.
  4. Gaining knowledge about what hiring managers are seeking in job candidates.
  5. Working with someone who can provide coaching about resumes and interview techniques.
  6. Getting feedback on job applications to help you keep on improving your profile.

For immigrating to another country, the process starts with obtaining a job offer in the country where you wish to work, but most candidates find this process of applying for a job in a foreign country both confusing and challenging. Every country has its own immigration programs, laws, and regulations, and once a candidate has received a job offer from an employer, he must also meet certain criteria in his country of origin for a work visa to be granted.

There are several factors that can prevent you from moving to another country even after obtaining a job offer. After the job offer begins the immigration process. You will need to obtain a visa or work permit from the Consulate of the destination country in your own country of origin/residence. The Consular Officer will have to be convinced that you have the right combination of skills, education, and/or work experience. Besides, most Governments will also require that foreign nationals comply with other criteria, included, but not limited to, having clean criminal, and migratory records, be in good health, among others

The job vacancies published by employers in WWJ’s website are under Temporary Foreign Workers Program (Canada), Summer Jobs and Exchange Programs for USA and some European countries, and under the visa categories J-1, H2A, H2B and EB3 for USA.

Candidates and Employers can request a free consultation by filling out the Request Free Consultation form on the Home Page.  They can also enroll online onto the platform from anywhere by filling out the Registration Form under or, respectively.

A WWJ’s staff will contact you within 48 hours to help you complete the process.

For our partners, agencies and affiliates, please visit our website “Partners and Agencies” under the tab ‘OTHER”

Candidate FAQs

Your application must include the following forms:

  1. Discussing your immigration goals.
  2. Assessing your personal background
  3. Evaluating eligibility to the various Foreign Worker Programs, Summer Jobs and Work Exchange and our job vacancies
  4. Outlining the application process
  5. Explaining potential challenges
  6. Discussing the requirements and service fees
  7. Answering additional Questions

Candidates who wish to have their resumes posted to our job site must first agree to our disclaimer regarding the services we offer.

Once the disclaimer is accepted, the candidate can register by filling out our form, choosing one of the 3 levels of service (Basic, Standard, or Premium), and paying for the services desired.

There are numerous questions regarding work experience, education, and language skills, etc. Passport information and other personal information are also requested.  Once your application is complete, a Work World Jobs member will verify the information, and your resume, cover letter and other supporting documents will be posted on our platform. Normally within 2 business days.  Candidates have up to 30 days to provide all the supporting documents.

Once you are registered on the WWJ platform, you will be e-mailed credentials to sign on to the site. You may update your information at that time.

For all electronic communications and the storage of personal information, WW adheres to the highest standards of Data Privacy following strict procedures for proper usage, collection, retention, deletion, and storage of data.  For Data Security we have policies, methods, and means in place to secure personal data. 

Three. You should prioritize your most desired position as number One and choose two others where you will also be willing to work.  However, to apply for any position, the applicant must submit proof of experience and/or the educational level or required training (diploma) in that field or occupation.

Unlimited, you can apply to all the job vacancies as you wish, as long as you have the necessary qualifications and experience in similar positions.

Our service provides the opportunity for your resume to be evaluated by the employers on our site. If your resume is deemed a match for their open position, they will contact you. There is no promise your resume will attract an employer response, or a job offer. See our disclaimer page

Every county has different programs, procedures and forms migrant workers must complete before being allowed to accept a job. Please visit the government links provided on the pages of the countries where you wish to work for the latest requirements.

Employers FAQs

Follow the link below and fill out the WWJ form. Then select the level of service you require (Basic, Standard, or Premium). Once a WWJ staff member has confirmed your company, you will receive sign on credentials via e-mail. You can then post your openings and begin searching for our pre-qualified candidates.

Our candidates go through a rigorous background check before being allowed to register on our web site. The information we require and then verify are:

  1. Highest academic degree received
  2. Years of experience in similar job positions and place of latest employment
  3. Law enforcement character certification.
  4. Language proficiency
  5. Identification and eligibility documents such as passport, visas, national ID’s, etc.

Finding the right candidate is the beginning of the process. Each country has different rules and regulations regarding criteria to bring the candidate to your job site. WW has affiliations with immigration specialists who can aid in the process.

To get the work certificate necessary to hire a foreign worker, you must demonstrate a lack of other options. Every country is different, but the certification requires the employer to confirm that there are insufficient local workers to perform the work at wages that meet or exceed the prevailing wage for the area of employment”.

The process in the USA begins by obtaining a Certification from the Department of Labor and then the employer must file the visa process for their potential employee with USCIS. For more information visit

There are numerous nonimmigrants, employment-based visa categories. Under all the categories, the foreign national must meet specific requirements for the occupation covered in the petition. For detailed information visit

Certification from the Department of Labor (DOL) is required only for the H-1B, H-2A, and H-2B nonimmigrant classifications.  You must first request certification from DOL before submitting your I-129 petition to USCIS. For H-1B nonimmigrants, a Labor Condition Application, and for H-2A and H-2B nonimmigrants, an Application for Temporary Employment Certification must be filed in accordance with DOL instructions. For filing instructions and other information, please see the DOL website at  .

After you file, USCIS will send you a receipt, confirming that they have received your petition. If your petition is incomplete, USCIS may reject it and return your fee, or ask you for more evidence or information, which will delay processing. They notify you when the decision is made.

If the prospective employee is in the United States in a valid nonimmigrant status, he or she can begin working for the employer upon approval of the Form I-129 petition, provided that:

  1. The Form I-129 contained a change of status or extension of stay request that was also approved; or
  2. In cases where Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, is required, the foreign national has filed and obtained approval of the application for change of status or extension of stay.

If the prospective employee is residing outside the United States or appears to be ineligible to change his or her status while in the United States, the petition will be sent to the U.S. consulate nearest the prospective employee’s foreign residence. The prospective employee can then apply at the U.S. consulate for a nonimmigrant visa. If the visa is issued, he or she will then be able to travel to the United States and apply for admission. For more information about nonimmigrant visa processing, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s Web site at .

Yes. An employer can file Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service, with the appropriate fee, concurrently with the Form I-129, or after receiving the receipt notice for Form I-129 at the USCIS location where the Form I-129 was filed. For more information on premium processing, please see the website at  .

Processing time depends on a number of factors. You can check the current processing times on the USCIS website . Once the petition is filed, you can receive an updated estimate by checking their website or calling Customer Service at 1-800-357-2099.

The initial period of stay granted to a temporary employee varies, depending on the specific visa category. Likewise, the maximum period of initial allowable stay varies, depending on the specific visa category and on the foreign national’s intended employment.

This information may be found on the Form I-94 that the employee received upon entering the United States, or on the USCIS-issued approval notice for a change of status or extension of stay. As noted below, in certain cases, a foreign national may seek to remain in a nonimmigrant classification longer than the period for which he or she was initially admitted or granted, up to the maximum period allowable by law. For detailed information on the period of stay initially granted and the maximum period of stay allowable for a specific visa category, please visit  or call their Customer Service at 1-800-357-2099.

If it appears that an employee may be needed longer than the period for which he or she was approved in his or her current nonimmigrant status, an employer may be able to file a new Form I-129 petition on behalf of the employee. To avoid disruption of authorized employment, employers are encouraged to file a petition to extend the employee’s status well before it expires. Note, however, that if the employee has already stayed for the maximum allowable period of time, an extension may not be granted.

Yes, provided that:

  1. USCIS receives a Form I-129 petition to extend an employee’s status before his or her status expires; and
  2. The employee has not violated the terms of his or her status; and
  3. The employee meets the basic eligibility requirements.


The employee may continue to be lawfully employed for a period of up to 240 days, or until USCIS makes a decision on your application, or until the reason for your requested extension has been accomplished—whichever comes first. (Note: Under section 105 of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act, this does not apply to H-1B portability—the ability to work for a new employer. H-1B portability is discussed in further detail below.)

If the request for extension is denied and the employee’s status has already expired while the employee is in the United States, he or she will be considered “out of status” as of the date that his or her status expired. If this should happen, the employee will be required to cease employment immediately and depart from the United States upon denial of the extension. There is no appeal of a denial of a request for an extension of status. The period of time that the foreign national has been “out of status” may affect his or her ability to return to the United States following the individual’s required departure.

Under immigration law, an employer is liable for the reasonable costs of return transportation abroad for a foreign national employee in the H-1B or H-2B visa categories if the employer dismisses the employee from employment before the end of the period of authorized admission.

Employers must keep USCIS informed of any firings, termination of employment, or changes in the employee’s eligibility by submitting a letter to the USCIS Service Center that approved the application or petition. Please note that the employee may only perform the duties described in the petition. As an employer, you also have many other labor-related responsibilities separate from those required under the immigration laws. For information regarding these other responsibilities, please contact the appropriate U.S. Government or State agency.

U.S. employers are required by law to verify the employment eligibility of all workers they employ in the United States, regardless of their immigration status, by processing a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. For more information on completing and maintaining Form I-9, please visit

When applying for the nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. consulate abroad, nearly all applicants must prove that their intention is to remain in the United States temporarily and to depart after they have fulfilled the purpose of their intended stay for which they are seeking a nonimmigrant visa—whichever is shorter. There are certain exceptions. For example, an H-1B, L-1A, and L-1B nonimmigrant worker may be able to maintain lawful nonimmigrant status and, at the same time, benefit from an immigrant visa petition, even if the individual worker may have taken certain steps to obtain lawful permanent resident status. For other classifications, the mere filing of an immigrant visa petition on behalf of a nonimmigrant worker, without any action taken by the worker himself or herself, may not have an adverse effect on the worker’s nonimmigrant status. For more information on sponsoring a foreign national employee for lawful permanent resident status, please visit  

This depends on the nonimmigrant visa classification that you are seeking for prospective employees.

  1. H-1B, H-3, O, and R visa categories do not allow for multiple employees on one petition.
  2. For L-1 visa categories: A prospective employer may file a single “blanket petition” to establish a required intra-company relationship. However, once the blanket petition has been approved, each individual employee seeking to work for the blanket petitioner must still file his or her individual Form.
  3. I-129-S, Nonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition.
  4. For the H-2A, H-2B, P, and Q-1 nonimmigrant visa categories, a single petition may cover multiple workers if the workers are performing the same service at the same location.

Yes, but each employer must file a separate Form I-129 petition and, where applicable, the appropriate Labor Certification, or Labor Condition Application with the DOL, and receive approval from USCIS before the employee can begin to work for a new or an additional employer. Please note that a foreign national who is eligible for H-1B portability may begin working for the new or additional employer once that employer has appropriately filed the Form I-129 petition with USCIS.

For more Information visit: